- Anstey, Josephine, “The House of Nishime,” The Southern Anthology, Lafayette, LA 1996, pp. 111-125
- Anstey, Josephine, “Dwayne Loves Johnny Coggio,” Chelsea 59, Chelsea Associates Inc., New York, NY 1995, pp. 71-97
Scholarly Articles, Book Chapters
- Josephine Anstey, “The Alter Ego Workshop”, Interactive Storytelling, 9th International Conference on
Interactive Digital Storytelling, ICIDS 2016, LA, CA, Proceedings, eds Nack & Gordon, LNCS 10045,
Nov 15-18, 2016, 441-445
- Dave Pape, Sarah Bay-Cheng, Josephine Anstey, Dave Mauzy, “WoyUbu: Experiments with Video-gaming
in Live Theatre”, 7th IEEE Consumer Electronics Society Games, Entertainment, Media Conference,
Toronto, Canada, 14-16 Oct 2015
- Josephine Anstey, Dave Pape, “Mixed Reality Theater and the Egyptian Oracle Project” in The Egyptian
Oracle Project: Ancient Ceremony in Augmented Reality, Robyn Gillam and Jeffrey Jacobson, eds.
Bloomsbury Academic, 2015
- Josephine Anstey, Dave Pape, Debra Burhans, Neil Coletta, Courtney Hatten, Devin Wilson, Min Young Kim. “Improvising Consciousness,” ACM Creativity & Cognition 2013, June 17 – 20 2013, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Josephine Anstey, Dave Pape, Debra Burhans, Devin Wilson. “Improvising Consciousness: The Davian Turn,” ACM Creativity & Cognition 2013, June 17 – 20 2013, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Josephine Anstey, Dave Pape. “Mrs. Squandertime,” Proc. SPIE 8649, The Engineering Reality of Virtual Reality 2013, 86490C (March 4, 2013); doi:10.1117/12.2008328
- Josephine Anstey. “The Wilderness at Home,” ISEA 2012: Machine Wilderness, Albuquerque NM, 19 – 24 September, 2012, 10-16
- Josephine Anstey. “Improvisation, Emotion, Video Game,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2011, Volume 6975/2011, Springer-Verlag, ACII’11 Proceedings of the 4th international conference on Affective computing and intelligent interaction, Memphis TN, 9 – 12 October, 2011, 498-507
- Josephine Anstey, A. Patrice Seyed, Sarah Bay-Cheng, Dave Pape, Stuart C. Shapiro, Jonathan Bona and Stephen Hibit . “The Agent Takes the Stage,” International Journal of Arts and Technology 2009 – Vol. 2, No.4 pp. 277 – 296
- Dave Pape, Josephine Anstey. “Office Diva,” ACM International Conference Proceeding Series; Vol. 349, Proceedings of the 3rd international conference on Digital Interactive Media in Entertainment and Arts, Athens, Greece, ACM Press, New York, 2008, 530-531
- Anstey, Josephine, “Theater and Virtual Reality,” Noema, Special Section on Drama, Performance and Digital Multimedia, at the 19th Cairo International Festival for Experimental Theater, Specials Arts, Fall 2007
- Anstey, Josephine, Sarah Bay-Cheng, Dave Pape, Stuart C. Shapiro,“Human Trials: An Experiment in Intermedia Performance,” Computers in Entertainment Magazine, ACM Publications, Vol. 5 #3, Jul/Sep 2007
- Josephine Anstey, Sarah Bay-Cheng, Stuart C. Shapiro, Dave Pape. “Human Trials Intermedia Performance,” SIGGRAPH 2006 Research Posters, Boston, MA, 30 July – 3 August 2006
- Albert Goldfain, Michael W. Kandefer, Stuart C. Shapiro, and Josephine Anstey, “Co-Designing Agents,” In Michael Beetz, Kanna Rajan, Michael Thielscher, and Radu Bogday Rusu, Eds., Cognitive Robotics: Papers from the AAAI Workshop (CogRob2006) Technical Report WS-06-03, AAAI Press, Menlo Park, CA, 2006, 77-82.
- Albert Goldfain, Michael W. Kandefer, Stuart C. Shapiro, and Josephine Anstey, “Co-Designing Agents,” Proceedings of the North East Student Colloquium on Artificial Intelligence (NESCAI ’06), Cornell U., Ithaca, NY, 2006, 142-148 (Superseded by paper above)
- Anstey, Josephine, “Agency and the Emotion Machine,” Proceedings of International Conference on Virtual Storytelling, Strasbourg, France, Nov30-Dec 2, 2005
- Anstey, Josephine, “Agents in Love: On the Use and Construction of Emotional Agents in VR,” Intelligent Agent Magazine, Vol 5 #1, 2005.
- Anstey, Josephine, “Agents in Love: On the Use and Construction of Emotional Agents in VR,” Proceedings of HCI International/VR International Conference, Las Vegas, NE, July22-27, 2005(Superseded by article in Intelligent Agent Magazine above)
- Shapiro, Stuart C., Josephine Anstey, David E. Pape, Trupti Devdas Nayak, Michael Kandefer, Orkan Telhan, “MGLAIR Agents in Virtual and other Graphical Environments,” Proceedings of the Twentieth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-05), AAAI Press, Menlo Park, CA, 2005, 1704-1705.
- Shapiro, Stuart C., Josephine Anstey, David E. Pape, Trupti Devdas Nayak, Michael Kandefer, Orkan Telhan, “The Trial The Trail, Act 3: A Virtual Reality Drama Using Intelligent Agents,” In R. Michael Young & John Laird, Eds., Proceedings of the First Annual Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference (AIIDE-05), AAAI Press, Menlo Park, CA, 2005, 157-158.
- Dolinsky, Margaret, Josephine Anstey, Dave Pape, Julieta Aguilera, Helen-Nicole Kostis, Daria Tsoupikova. “Collaborative Virtual Environments Art Exhibition,” Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems XII, Proceedings of SPIE-IS&T Electronic Imaging, SPIE Vol. 5664, January 2005, pp 641-652
- Anstey, Josephine , Dave Pape, Stuart C. Shapiro, Orkan Telhan, Trupti Devdas Nayak, “Psycho-Drama in VR,” Proceedings of The Fourth Conference on Computation Semiotics (COSIGN 2004), University of Split, Croatia, 2004, pp 5-13
- Anstey, Josephine, “Writing a Story in Virtual Reality,” in Eloquent Images: Word and Image in the Age of New Media. Mary E. Hocks and Michelle R. Kendrick eds. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA 2003, pp 283-304
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, Stuart C. Shapiro, Vikranth Rao, “Virtual Drama with Intelligent Agents,” Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia (VSMM 2003), Hybrid Reality:Art, Technology and the Human Factor, Montreal, Canada, Oct 15-17 2003, pp 521-528
- Pape, Dave, Josephine Anstey, Margaret Dolinsky, Edward J. Dambik, “Ygdrasil – a framework for composing shared virtual worlds,” Future Generation Computing Systems, Volume 19, Number 6, August 2003, Elsevier Press, pp 1041-1049
- Pape, Dave, Josephine Anstey, “Falling Over You:Interactive Wall,” SIGGRAPH 03, Sketches & Applications, San Diego, CA, July 27-31 2003
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, “The Trial The Trail: Building a VR Drama,” Proceedings of TIDSE 2003, 1st International Conference on Technologies for Interactive Digital Storytelling and Entertainment, Darmstadt, Germany, March 24 – 26, 2003 pp 394-402
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, “Scripting the Interactor: An Approach to VR Drama,” Proceedings of the Fourth Creativity and Cognition Conference an ACM SIGCHI Conference, Loughborough University, UK, Oct 13-17, 2002
- Pape, Dave, Josephine Anstey, Greg Dawe, “A Low-Cost Projection Based Virtual Reality Display,” The Engineering Reality of Virtual Reality, 2002, San Jose, CA, 24 Jan 2002
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, “The Provoking Thing: A VR Relationship,” Technical Report of Emotional and Intelligent II: The Tangled Knot of Social Cognition, Papers from the 2001 AAAI Fall Symposium, North Falmouth, MA, 2-4 Nov 2001
- Pape, Dave, Josephine Anstey, Bryan Carter, Maria Roussou, Tim Portlock, “Virtual Heritage at iGrid 2000,” Proceedings of INET 01 The Internet Global Summit, Stockholm, Sweden, 5-8 June 2001
- Pape, Dave, Sarita D’Souza, Josephine Anstey, Tom DeFanti, Maria Roussou, Athanasios Gaitatzes “Shared Miletus: Towards a Networked Virtual History Museum ,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Augmented, Virtual Environments and Three-Dimensional Imaging, Mykonos, Greece, 30 May -1 June 2001.
- Anstey, Josephine, “The User Knows Best:refining a VR Interactive Fiction Project ,” Proceedings of ISEA 2000, 10th International Symposium on Electronic Art, Paris, France, 7-10 December, 2000
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, “Being There:Interactive Fiction in Virtual Reality,” Proceedings of Consciusness Reframed 3, Newport, Wales, UK, 24-26 August 2000
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, Dan Sandin, “The Thing Growing: Autonomous Characters in Virtual Reality Interactive Fiction,” Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality 2000, New Brunswick, NJ, March 18 – 22, 2000
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, Dan Sandin, “Building a VR Narrative,” Proceedings of SPIE Vol 3957Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems VII (The Engineering Reality of Virtual Reality 2000), San Jose, CA, 28 January 2000.
- Pape, Dave, Josephine Anstey, Mike Bogucki, Greg Dawe, Tom DeFanti, Andy Johnson, Dan Sandin, “The Immersadesk 3 – Experiences With A Flat Panel Display for Virtual reality,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Immersive Projection Technology Workshop, Stuttgart, Germany, May 10 – 11, 1999.
- Anstey Josephine, Dave Pape. “The Thing Growing,” Virtuality and Interactivity Catalog, MediaArtech 99, Florence, Italy, May 1999, pp. 68-71
- Anstey, Josephine, “Are you Waving or Drowing? Art, Interaction, Manipulation and Complexity,” Feature Article in Leonardo Electronic Almanac, Vol. 6 # 11, Dec 17, 1998.
- Pape, Dave, Tomoko Imai, Josephine Anstey, Maria Roussou, Tom DeFanti, “XP: An Authoring System for Immersive Art Exhibitions,” Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Gifu, Japan, Nov 18-20, 1998.
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, “The Thing Growing,” Info War Catalog, Ars Electronica Festival ’98 Linz, September 1998.
- Anstey, Josephine, “We Sing the Body Electric:Imagining the Body in Electronic Art,” Feature Article in Leonardo Electronic Almanac, Vol. 6 # 4, May 15, 1998
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, “The Thing Growing,” Ylem Newsletter, July/August 1999, pp. 5-6
- Anstey, Josephine, Dave Pape, “Animation in the CAVE,” Animation World Magazine. Vol 3, No1. April 1998.
- Anstey, Josephine, Alan Cruz, Soyon Park, Joeffrey Trimmingham, “De Minderheid Voorbij?,” Ruimte Kunstmagazine, jaargang 13, Amsterdam, April 1996
- Anstey, Josephine, “Interview with Claudine Booth: Black Cable TV,” The Squealer, Buffalo NY March 1987, and FX:Women’s Film and Video Bulletin, London, Spring 86,